The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it ~ Chinese proverb

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Bryce's Epistle

It is Sunday August 12, 2007. We just returned from having dinner with both of our families. Being with everyone tonight reminded me just how lucky we are. I have been remiss in not posting an entry earlier; my only excuse is that I just really have not felt very well. But I do want to thank everyone for the TREMENDOUS amount of support we have received over the last 3 weeks. I can’t believe it has only been 3 weeks. It seems like 3 months that we have been living with this thing called MelaSUCKanoma. MelaSUCKanoma is not a medical term. It is, however, what Tammy and I call the enemy.
First of all I want to thank our parents for all that they have done to help in the last few weeks. When we returned from Colorado after the first chemo regimen, it was to find a new bed (I guess my Dad and Mom got sick of hearing me complain about our old bed). It was like we had an extreme makeover on the house while we were gone. New lights over the kitchen (something I had been meaning to do for a year), a new faucet in the kitchen, new tile in the bathrooms, and possibly almost as important as the bed, a new “super sucker – unpluggable” toilet. There is a story behind that but I am not sure if I want to go there. Let’s just say it will be nice to not have to go to Slim Olsen’s gas station every time I need to use the facilities. They also did landscaping and a million other little things that my Dad had done while we were gone. A new bed may seem like a small thing to everyone out there but when you spend 14-18 hours a day laying on something it is a HUGE blessing to have such a comfortable place to do it.
While our Dads were back here working to fix up the house, my Mom and Tammy’s Mom were in Colorado helping Tammy hide the grape juice from me. I don’t remember this, but at the time that I was having severe pulmonary edema (basically means I was drowning from the inside out), I was on a severe fluid restriction. Apparently I didn’t like that very much, so I sweet- talked the lunch lady into bringing me 4-5 grape juices with each tray, and then I tried to hide them in my bed and under books on my tray. I also convinced several different nurses and nurse assistants that my fluid restriction had been lifted so they would bring me some water. I even almost had my Mom convinced at one time. Now in my defense I don’t remember any of this so they could be making it up. But after questioning each participant carefully I have to assume that either they got their stories straight early on or I really was being a major idiot pain in the butt. It would be a lot funnier if I wasn’t basically drowning myself with every drop I poured down my throat. Our Mothers were saints, as I mentioned previously I was a bit out of it. So it was nice to know that Tammy had such an awesome support network around her at what was a really scary time. Mom, thank you for coming to support me at a very scary time. It meant a lot to know that you were there.I haven’t done a very good job of it but what I am trying to do is tell our parents how much I appreciate their help and love.
I also want to thank the rest of our family members. Everyone from Nic the machine (he spent several evenings working around our house) to Steff, Holly and Jenni for taking care of Dani so often and for giving Tammy so much support. Brady has been an unexpected source of comfort; the fact that he came and stayed in the hospital with me so Tammy could come home and get some sleep was a bigger deal than he knows. Clark completed our car sale, which was not easy, that was a huge weight off our mind. These are just a few of the many things our families have done to help; if I tried to list them all I would forget something or leave someone out. Not to mention taking up several pages of the blog space. THANK YOU ALL!!!
We have also received so much support from friends and ward members that I cannot even begin to list everyone. Please know how much we appreciate and love you all, the outpouring of love has been almost overwhelming. We really appreciate your prayers and fasting, please keep us in your prayers because we need all the help we can get.
Danika has done as much to help me be determined to beat this thing as anyone. Her cute little 7 month old smile is enough to make me get up in the morning even when I don’t feel like it. She is a wonder; every day she does something new that gives me the chills. I love her so much and I look forward to many years of watching her grow into a strong young woman.
Lastly I want to thank my beautiful, happy, strong, vivacious, funky wife. I ask myself almost daily what I did to deserve such an awesome woman in my life. I am going to beat this thing if for no other reason than to be able to wake up next to her for the next 50 years. I could offer story after story of her strength boosting me up when I was weak but instead I just want to thank her for everything. Tammy I love you so much and I will beat this melaSUCKanoma thing with your help!!!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Baby, you are the best thing to have happened to me. This cancer can't take our love, it can't take our memories, and it can't take our family. We have made a beautiful family, which will be together forever. Cancer be damned.

Holly said...

I love you guys so much. I can't stop crying because your relationship is so awesome and you're so strong and your words are so beautiful. Please use me for whatever you need. I WILL be your bitch. Start abusing me!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up guys!! You're an inspiration to all of us. Bryce, you can beat this, cuz we have a lot of golf ahead of us!!

Love
Jerd n Lou

Scott and Sammy Wood said...

Bryce it is so awesome how much energy you guys have poured into this! You are such a soldier!I am happy you have such a bullet for a wife and the hope that Dani shines each morning for you. Scott and I think about you and your family daily! Keep in touch. We need to get another round of fish and chips.

Anonymous said...

I've got another name for the melaSUCKanoma, but it's inappropriate... and it is definitely NOT a medical term. Trust me on that. I won’t go there. I want to, but I won’t. Bryce, you are truly amazing. Are you sure you’re not sneaking the grape juice?... cause your energy is insane. If Dani inherits even half of your vigor, you guys are going to be chasing her around for a long time. Hey, someday you’ll have to tell me what a super sucker toilet is. I don’t know that we have these things over here in the east. It definitely sounds scary. Thanks to you, I will now be eyeing every toilet I see with scrutiny, wondering to myself if this might be the one flush that goes horribly wrong. Anyway… enough of that. Carrie and I send our love and prayers. Keep your spirits up as you have been. That’s a big part of the fight too.
-Dave

Anonymous said...

Hey Brown Rice,

It's Alex Lawrence. I got an update from Jared the other day, I had no idea what was going on. Haven't seen you in years. I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know two things. First, my Dad was given 3-6 months to live with stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to his lungs, liver and beyond........three years ago. It has been a rough road, but 3 months has been 3 years. So Doctors and their prognostications are certainly not always correct. Second, I will pray for you and your family and hope that everything goes well. I have a little girl and a great wife as you do, so your situation hits close to home.

Just remember I dunked on you in Squeeze's backyard. Okay, so you weren't looking at the time...details, details...

Take Care,

Alex
(lawrence.alex@gmail.com)