The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it ~ Chinese proverb

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Treatment

Thursday's Treatment:
Everything here happens in “hospital time”, which we are finding out the hard way. We were under the impression that radiation would happen this morning, followed by a blood transfusion at noon and then the chemo. We waited for a long time for the radiation, and finally someone came to get Bryce at 2:30. It was just a pre-radiation visit, during which they mapped the tumors and made little tattoos where the crosshairs should line up. Yep, he got his ink on. They also found out that the big lump on his back is a muscle spasm, but there is cancer on the ribs underneath it.
Bryce didn’t get his blood transfusion until late in the evening, so the chemo is postponed until Friday. I really want to get this show on the road. Dad came over during the transfusion and filled the lump on Bryce’s back with lidocaine, which took some of the pain away. Bryce's breathing has appeared agonal as he sleeps, which makes me nervous. It seems like he is gasping for air, and trying to shove the air out. Dr. Pearl said it it because of the transfusion, and it's not severe yet. He shot Bryce up with Lasix tonight, which is making him pee A TON. I have to hold the urinal container for him because he's so weak, but I also sing him the "Pee Song" every time. He looks forward to the song--who wouldn't like to be serenaded during such a monotonous chore?
Bryce is fairly doped up with painkillers and anti-anxiety meds, which seem to take care of nausea also. He sleeps a lot.
My parents were scheduled to leave for Illinois today, where my brother lives. They reheduled their trip so they could stay here.
I miss Dani. My sweet little baby girl. Oh, I miss her.

9 comments:

Suzan and Christopher Hallam said...

Tammy,
When Keith was in the hospital we also found out about "hospital time". Now we are finding out about insurance time. I know you want thinga done now, but they work on their on schedule. I hope Bryce will be feeling better soon and you will be with Dani soon. My son is 15 and I missed him like crazy when Keith was in the hospital. Know that our family is praying for ya'll and sending good vibs.
Hugs,
Suzan
www.kschallam.blogspot.com

Don said...

Thanks for taking the time to post these updates, Tammy.

You're so sweet to sing him the pee song. Hopefully one day you will be able to look back and laugh with one another about it.

Keep fighting, we're all behind you.

Jeremy

Rosemary and Rick said...

Dear Bryce and Tammy,

It will take you longer to explain to Bryce who we are than it will to read this comment, but we want you to know we are supporting you from Minnesota. We are so proud of the two of you and your little Dani is adorable (we like little girls, having four ourselves).

You will get through this--we wish you the best.

Love,
Rick and Rosemary Glines (Larsen)

Carver said...

Dear Bryce and Tammy,

I am sending out good thoughts for you and Bryce. I hope the radiation treatment will be a big success in zapping out the mel. As ever, Carver

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray and pray for a miracle to happen. Hang in there! You are a beautiful family...

Godspeed

Unknown said...

Hey Bryce, Tammy and baby Dani,
Thanks for sharing your time with our girls on Sunday when they came up for visit. Tina came home and told me all about it. Wish I would have gone up with them but glad they got the chance to be there for you. We miss you so much and are thinking and sending shout outs to the skies daily.
xoxo,
Susie

Anonymous said...

Dear Bryce and Tammy,
My Mom and I are members of your ward. We're praying for you. I've begun putting your names in a different temple each day. Today the Saints in Boston Massachusetts began praying for you, too.
Love, Marian and Sally Benedict

christine said...

Tammy and Bryce,
Sending prayers everyday my friends !!!! Thinking of you everyday.
Big Hugs,
Christine U

Unknown said...

Tammy and Bryce,

My husband and I are thinking of you and your families. Keep up the fight! I admire the love that you both have for life, and for each other and your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Leslie and Jon Snavely